Saturday, March 21, 2015

Intelligence vs. Icon March 22nd 2015


Isn't she beautiful? Doesn't she have such sex appeal? Pretty, slim, blonde, ideal. But does anyone consider how intelligent Marilyn Monroe actually was? I personally didn't even realize this until I read this article. Why did she portray herself as such an airhead then? I think the simple colloquialism "sex sells" is the answer to that question. She wanted to be popular, famous, and well-known, and the only way she saw fit to do that is to be that dumb blonde that society wanted. And guess what, it worked. She did say though, "I’ve never fooled anyone. I’ve let people fool themselves. They didn’t bother to find out who and what I was. Instead they would invent a character for me." So, is this the sign of a good actress? Maybe that's exactly what she was. A great actress. Marilyn let society, consumers of her industry, believe what they wanted about her. So I guess that she never really hid her intelligence, she just chose to showcase her beauty more.


Another beautiful actress. I think Emma Watson's case differs from Marilyn Monroe in quite a few ways. Emma was known for her bookworm role in the Harry Potter franchise. She was not afraid to pursue her education. She decided to attend Brown University and her classmates were the ones who set her standard. I assume they saw her just a pretty face, because they teased and taunted her in class yelling out things such as "THREE POINTS FOR GRYFFINDOR!" when she correctly answered a question. She questioned pursuing her education after the first few days of this, but she overcame the bullying and graduated from Brown. I think this is similar to Marilyn Monroe because society decided for these women what they should be like. Marilyn played into it, where Emma went against it.

Reference:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/21/emma-watson-teased-taunte_n_852115.html?

No comments:

Post a Comment