Sunday, April 12, 2015

Reality Television April 12th 2015

Normally, I am not one for reality TV, therefore this week posed a bit of a challenge. After browsing through Netflix for awhile, I came upon the show Dance Moms. I had heard a lot about it so I thought I would give it a try. After watching one 40 minute episode, I was in awe of the outrageous lifestyle of these young girls. They spend 7 days a week, 6 hours a day dancing, and their weekends competing. Dance Moms doesn't just follow these girls, it follows the drama between their mothers, as well as their dance teacher Abby. This particular episode the mothers were struggling with the costume and dance that the girls were doing for the weekends competition. They said that they were dressed too 'skimpy' and dancing too 'sexy'. Both of these things I agree with, and the girls actually ended up not placing because they were disqualified because of the content of their routine. 
These are the outfits that the girls wore to their competition in Lancaster PA. I think that gender is portrayed in the most extreme way in this show. These girls are as 'girly' as they come. They love dance, makeup, costume, and being a girl. There was a scene in this episode where a new girl was coming to audition. She was six years old, and she said, "I like to dance... and play baseball." I think that for the religious watcher of Dance Moms, this comment would be shocking. This show is all about the girliest gender, and all of the girls and moms conform to this stereotype that she show is playing in to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment