Sunday, April 19, 2015

Social Networks April 19th 2015


Today, there are a plethora of Social Media sites and apps that let us connect with all different people from all over the world. FaceBook in particular is a Social Networking site that has become extremely possible since its launch in 2004. We see a lot of different things on FaceBook today, from ads, to trending news reports, and most importantly, people's personal profiles. In my case, the 'friends' I have on Facebook are all people that I know and have met before. That is not the same in all cases. I think the the friends I have have on Facebook have profiles that directly reflect who they are. People who are outgoing tend to post a lot and voice their opinions. They people who are introverted don't always post as often or be as opinionated on Social Media. I think that the friends I have on FaceBook are 'gendered' according to who that person is. And the people I'm friends with don't serve as a virtual personality.


What we do see all to often is the idea of 'catfishing'. This is when a person creates a fake online profile and uses it to create romantic relationships, etc. This poses a huge issue because it leads people to believe that the people they are talking to online are not who they say they are. It can be dangerous and upsetting. All of this is can be seen on MTV's show Catfish, where the hosts Nev and Max follow these leads and expose, or sometimes disprove, the idea of these fake personalities. 

I think that FaceBook is a great way to be in contact with other people and network, but it can also be something that can be abused. People may end up portraying themselves differently on Social Networks, which can lead to bad outcomes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment